La Nonna

by - August 08, 2017

La Nonna is an Italian restaurant by The Senso Group. They have 2 branches- the original at Namly Place and the second at Holland Village. To be honest, I didn't like Senso one bit so I was a little wary about this. Thankfully La Nonna serves delicious and simple Italian comfort food, with the (or rather, my) focus here being its traditional brick oven pizzas.

Food: 3.5/5
Price: $$/$$$
Service: 3/5
Ambiance: 4/5 (a cozy little restaurant tucked away in a quiet neighborhood)
Tip: 1-for-1 main courses on The Entertainer App!

DSC01152
Bruschetta Trio- $19

I shall start off with my favourite of the entire meal, which was surprisingly, an unassuming plate of bruschetta. The bruschetta bread was toasted nicely and topped with tomatoes and basil, goat cheese, truffle and porcini mushroom. Nothing beats fresh, warm and delicious bruschetta topped with fresh ingredients. My favourite of the lot was actually the simple tomatoes and basil. The entire thing just screams fresh.

DSC01147
Caprese- $18

Nothing fancy about this- buffalo milk mozzarella and ripe tomatoes drizzled with basil pesto sauce. The usual Italian fanfare. I'm just a huge sucker for buffalo cheese and it breaks my heart that it's always so, so expensive. Thankfully the ones here are thickly sliced and worth its price.

DSC01148
Calamari- $19

Fresh calamari rings with Arrabbiata sauce- again, another thing I'm a huge fan of. The batter is light, crispy and flavorful. Goes extremely well with beer.

DSC01157
Taglierini Truffle- $28

Homemade taglierini pasta, shiitake mushrooms and black truffle cream. This dish is surprisingly not too cloying, but could be stronger on the truffle flavor. Otherwise, this is one great comfort food!

P.S. Correct me if I am wrong, but taglierini pasta is supposed to be long and thin right?

DSC01158
La Nonna- $23

This is their signature pizza topped with tomato, mozzarella, parmesan, asparagus, egg and black truffle. I do wish they added a bit more of the shaved truffle (although that would also mean an exponential increase in price, but I can't taste the truffle...). I always love a good runny egg spread all over a thin slice of tomato based pizza. Something about the combination of bread, tomato and egg is superb. Their pizza crust is thin and crispy (I do prefer this over chewy ones). I love that their pizza has a slight smokiness to it as well thanks to the wood brick oven. Their pizzas are huge though so it's good for sharing for more than 2 people.

On a separate note, does anyone know how to make a pizza look good in photos because I've tried so many times but I just can't seem to get the right angle. Sigh. If you know of a good way, please share with me!!!!

DSC01163
Torta Al Limone - $13

Homemade lemon tart with sugar caramel and raspberry coulis.  Now this is one of the most delicious lemon tarts I've had. The crust is buttery, the lemon curd is not too sour and is complemented well with the sugar caramel top. This dessert added a nice, zesty and refreshing end to the entire meal which was carb heavy. I highly recommend having this lemon tart to end off the meal.

DSC01164

Overall, I do like the food at La Nonna. It really is Italian comfort food made even more comfortable by its cozy ambience with slightly dim and orangey lights. The price is a tad on the high side though for the appetisers.


La Nonna
Address: 76 Namly Pl, Singapore 267226


You May Also Like

0 comments