Cuba Libre

by - August 22, 2017

Cuba Libre (also known as a drink of rum and cola with a slice of optional lime) has long been known for its giant mojitos and amazing live latin & salsa music. If you are into the latin & salsa music or dance scene, you would have most likely visited Cuba Libre at least once and immerse yourself in the exuberant crowd, dancing and singing away on the dance floor right in front of the stage where the live band plays and sings. It's reminiscent of a Havana bar and the atmosphere is simply amazing.

But because of the choice of music, you may find more foreigners than locals in the place. Well that's just fine because I suspect locals would just be bobbing their heads to the music, rather than going all out and dancing themselves silly to the upbeat music (yes, you know it's true- just look at the dance floor in the clubs).

And unlike the social dance nights at many dance studios, the emphasis at Cuba Libre is on having a really good time, so no one cares if your technique sucks, or (in my case) if you haven't danced in a really long time.  (I do salsa by the way, in case you were wondering).

Food: 3.5/5
Price: $$/$$$
Ambiance: 4.5/5
(I love the exuberant crowd, plus the live band is simply amazing)
Tip: One for one mains on the Entertainer app; they also have good happy hour deals too. It seems they now have one for one mains (without the Entertainer) every night till 9pm too.

So, music and their amazing mojitos aside, how does the food at Cuba Libre fare? I will have to admit upfront that I have absolutely no idea how Cuban food tastes like. So I am going to take what Cuba Libre serves as what Cuban flavours would be like, and let you know if I like them.

P.S. Pardon the lighting of these photos as they were shot in a really dark environment and we had to use the light from our phones.

P.P.S. Also with 2 humans who do not have the stomach of a hippo, this post is going to be a little short.

DSC01759
Seafood Jambalaya - $28

This is a yummy mix of tomato rice, tiger prawn, mussels, squid, chili padi, onion capsicums, mozzarella and parsley. I am a huge fan of tomato rice and I like that the one here is very tomato-ish and has the right balance between sweet and sour. The seafood is fresh and pretty generous. I can't really taste the chili though. I would have loved for it to be a little more spicy.

DSC01755
Pan-seared Salmon - $32

 220g norweigian salmon with creamy potato, baby tomatoes and prawn mango salad. I don't actually think that the salmon itself has much of a flavour. It was kind of bland. In fact the creamy potato (which I really like) and pawn mango salad is what gives this dish any flavour.

DSC01753

Okay, I cannot remember what this is called nor how much it costs. I can't find this drink on their menu somehow. Maybe because it is new? I'm going to try and keep better records of the receipts from now on! Anyway, this is non-alcoholic (gasp! Whut Angie? No alcohol?!) because my companion has alcohol limitations. But this is a very refreshing mocktail with a strong taste of lemongrass. I actually really like it and would recommend this over their (pretty expensive) juice, if you're looking for something non-alcoholic.

If I could sum it all up- Cuban food tastes like Mexican food but with a spicier flavor (i.e. more spices, not spicy in the chilli sense). Of course, I could be wrong and for all I know, Cuba Libre may be serving Cuban Mexican fusion food. A quick look at the menu seems to show that most of the food are in fact Mexican...

But in any event, I would definitely come back for the food (and the super sweet happy hour one for one deals) and of course, the amazing live latin & salsa music!

Cuba Libre
Address: River Valley Rd, Block B #01-13 Clarke Quay, 179021
Click for the full menu. 

You May Also Like

0 comments