Angelina

by - July 13, 2017

Angelina is a famous patisserie and tea room from Paris in 1903. The confectioner Antoine Rumpelmayer founded Angelina, which he named after his daughter-in-law. It is known for its delicious hot chocolate drink and Mont-Blanc. Famous classic icons like Coco Chanel and Audrey Hepburn were regular patrons and fans of their hot chocolate drink.

Angelina opened its first branch in Singapore in 2015. The Parisian decorated restaurant comes with its own quaint little store which sells all of its products such as teas, jams and chocolates.

Food: 4/5
Price: $$/$$$
Service: 4/5
Ambiance: 4/5- A quaint and quiet little corner space
Tip: Signatures include Mont-Blanc dessert and Old-Fashioned Hot Chocolate “L’Africain"

DSC00389

DSC00390

Traditional Crusted Onion Soup- $17
 
Now this is one pricey soup, but I decided that one has to try onion soup at a French restaurant. It was unfortunately, a little on the watery side and a little bland. The pastry puff though, was excellent. It was flaky, buttery and surprisingly light.
 
DSC00392
 Pan Fried Scallops, Black Venere Rice and Shellfish Cream - $29
 
Moving on to the mains, I read that the above dish is a must-try. I was intrigued about how shellfish cream and black rice would taste. Glad to say that the dish didn't disappoint. The scallops were fresh. The black venere rice is dense but chewy (reminds me of glutinous rice!) and the shellfish cream when poured over the rice, gives the dish a slightly buttery/milky taste. Although the portion may seem small, it is filling.

DSC00397
Truffle Ravioli, Parmesan Cream and Rocket Salad- $29
 
I love truffle (and so does the majority of the population), hence the natural draw to truffle ravioli. Plus it's loaded with parmesan cream! A cream made of cheese is simply heavenly (and fattening like mad) but no one can truly resist (unless you're lactose intolerant). This is indeed a cloying dish so please do share and order a non creamy dish to balance things out. This is a slightly salty, extremely rich and creamy pasta dish. The ravioli skin is thin and it is stuffed with slices of mushrooms which compliments the truffle flavor.
 

DSC00398
Mont-Blanc- $13.50
 
Since we're at Angelina's, desserts (and their hot chocolate drink) are a must. Angelina is known for its Mont Blanc cake, which is essentially a chestnut cake. It is covered with sweet chestnut purée vermicelli and there's light whipped cream beneath. After trying my very first Mont Blanc, I conclude that I am simply not a fan. The sweetness is overpowering and I had to remove the chestnut purée in order to continue having more than two mouthfuls of the cake. The cake with whipped cream alone, is decent. Maybe I'm just not a chestnut person (I've only ever had water chestnut drink which I love).
 
However, do not let my opinion deter you from trying this signature dessert. Angelina's Mont-Blanc cake is supposedly one of the best out there, from what I've researched. I conclude that it really is just me (and my immense lack of sweet tooth, or chestnut tooth??).



DSC00403

DSC00406
 Old-Fashioned Hot Chocolate “L’Africain” -$12
 
Here we have the other signature drink/dessert. A dining experience at Angelina is not complete without trying this. Two words: Extremely rich. And I'm extremely glad that it isn't sweet. This delicious drink is drunk from teacups and served with clotted cream. Adding the (pretty looking) clotted cream into the mix adds some sweetness. I reckon this is how you can "adjust" the sweetness of your hot chocolate.
 
I have to confess that I am not a chocolate fan. So I guess for me to love this delicious drink says a lot. But I couldn't finish one by myself as it does get cloying due to the richness of it. I highly recommend sharing, especially if you're there for a meal too. 
 


DSC00407
Overall, Angelina serves delicious French food and hot chocolate. The desserts are honestly on the steep side for price but I would like to return to try more of them. Be warned though, their popular desserts do run out pretty fast and I couldn't get some of them when I returned for dinner one weekday.
 
Angelina
Address: Capitol Piazza, 15 Stamford Road, #01-82, Capitol Galleria, Singapore 048616
Phone: +65 6384 0481
Website: http://www.angelina-paris.fr/en/ (Original Website)

You May Also Like

0 comments