Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill

For a place which prides itself on steak, I have no idea why it's called hippopotamus. I tried to think of a possible connection with any countries with hippos as a national animal. But nope, none came to mind.

Anyway, Hippopotamus is created in Paris in 1968, and has the widest selections of cut from well-known Sirloin, Tenderloin and Rib Steak, to the rare Hanger and Skirt Steaks, at affordable prices. As much as I love my beef, I didn't know there were hanger and skirt steaks! Then again, I really don't know parts of my beef, at all. I only know I don't like the ones at Lawry's because it's way too fatty, and I really like the ones at Les Bouchons. I really like my beef skinny.

So I would love to give this place an excellent review, but I'm just too scarred by their horrendous bone marrow dish. Everytime I think of Hippopotamus...... no wait, I don't even want to think about Hippopotamus anymore after this post.

2014-03-14 21.15.36

So this piece of crap is called a bone marrow. But really who the hell would have thought of eating bone marrows?? It tastes like a blob of pure fat. EEWWWWWW. It's practically tasteless, or rather it taste like fat, if fat is a taste.

I've been told by Liesel who had bone marrows before, that the one here is just badly done. Well I would definitely take her word for it. I mean if a good bone marrow dish is supposed to taste like this, what the hell is wrong with the people who decided that bone marrow should be served to people?

And in my defence, I only suggested trying it out because I thought I had it before and it tasted amazing. But then shortly after, I remembered that I had escargots IN bone marrow.

2014-03-14 21.30.17 2014-03-14 21.30.41 

Our hanger steak with different sides! The sides were pretty good and the hanger steak was not the fatty kind so I was pretty happy to finish it. But I really don't think it's amazing. It's only decent. In fact, it was a little dry for me but maybe because mine's medium. 

2014-03-14 21.24.51

Their chicken breast dish is a tad too dry and reminds us all of why chicken breast is indeed the healthiest of all the chicken parts. I mean it tasted so... clean.....? It's actually tasteless apart from the slight tinge of smokiness from the grilling

Overall, I am not impressed by this place. And it really does not help that I feel like puking everytime I think of the crappy bone marrow. 
And nope, not going back unless everywhere else in Marina Square is full. Then again I may just hop over to Suntec in that case.

Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill
6 Raffles Boulevard, #01-204/205 
Marina Square 
Singapore 039594 
Tel: 63385352

P.S What my friends do everytime I try to take a photo of my food :( #bloggingwoes
2014-03-14 21.14.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...