Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lavender Food Trail

Lavender has a huge food center and is also full of little coffee shops. I love much of the food there, and I know most people don't visit Lavender because there's hardly anything there to do! The only time you would visit Lavender is probably when you need a passport. I've had the privilege to visit Lavender occasionally because I do my eyebrows at a beauty parlor near V Hotel.

I gotta say, they really have a lot of coffee shops around. But fret not because I'll be bringing you the best food places to dine at pocket friendly prices!

1) Lavender Food Square 

No stranger to anyone, Lavender Food Square serves up some awesome food!

20130504-132009-DSC_3227
First up is the prawn noodle. I love prawn noodles especially the soup version. The best and most important part of such prawn noodles is definitely the soup and of course a huge bonus is when it comes with big and fresh prawns. I just wish prawn noodles everywhere ain't pricey :( The average price is like $5 per bowl.

Next up, without a photo, is the wanton mee there. Pretty good stuff. I love wanton mee and I think I got that from my dad. It's the Chinese style of wanton mee. The noodles are springy, the char siew is delicious and not fatty, the wantons are delicious too. However, I think my preferred style of wanton mee is the Malaysian style, which comes with black sauce and slightly more watery than the Chinese one. I've found a really good one at KPT at Block 401 in Hougang.

20130504-131957-DSC_3225
I've tried the black carrot cake here too. I think it's pretty decent though not the best I've eaten. I haven't found one that beats the black carrot cake at Chomp Chomp, probably because I haven't had the one at Bedok. The one here is above average and worth a try though.

Lavender Food Square
Address: 380 Jalan Besar

2) Cheng Mun Chee Kee (正文志记) Pig Organ Soup 
This is definitely my absolute favourite pig organs soup in the whole of Singapore. I doubt I've found any other better ones!

And I think many people misunderstand that they can't indulge in this delicious dish because they don't take pig organs. I don't take pig organs too! So you can actually request for the parts of the pig you want-- I always order lean meat with meatballs!
20130504-134703-DSC_3231 20130504-134646-DSC_3229
The soup is the winner for me actually. Really really love the soup and I doubt there's any MSG because I don't get thirsty after finishing the whole bowl. Plus the chilli is absolutely delightful to dip the meat in. Do note that it is actually REALLY spicy. The meat is fresh and cooked to perfection as the meat doesn't become too tough, which is typical when it comes to cooking pork.

Cheng Mun Chee Kee
Address: 24 Foch Road (across Lavender Food Square)

3) Chye Seng Huat Hardware 
First got to know the existence of such a place through a friend's Instagram, I was surprised that a hardware stall sells coffee and food! That's not what a hardware stall is, right?

Nonetheless, the place is a hidden gem! A small little cozy place that's filled to the brim especially on weekends, be prepared for a really vibrant atmosphere. Not surprising since it is the successive coffee bar from the people behind Papa Palheta and Loysel's Toy. Chye Seng Huat Hardware features a roastery, an island coffee bar, a coffee school and a private coffee tasting room.

20130504-141216-DSC_3234 20130504-141334-DSC_3239 20130504-141730-DSC_3251

I was in for a treat when I visited. While sitting at the bar area, ph was curiously looking at one of the guys preparing some sort of coffee and since the preparation was interesting. That guy nicely offered us some to try. I gotta say, I'm not a coffee person so I took a teeny weeny sip and passed the rest to ph. And ph said the coffee there is good. He's quite a heavy coffee drinker so I would probably trust him on that. And given how popular the shop is, it definitely has got coffee making right.

Chye Seng Huat Hardware 
Address: 150 Tyrwhitt Road
Phone: 63960609

2 comments:

  1. Your food pics looks appetizing :) Anyway, you item 2 makes me remember how I love pig organ soup! Haha. Time for me to head back to having it.

    CSH is indeed a hidden gem.. Unique outlook, and cosy place for brunch and coffee :) http://foodesteem.blogspot.sg/2013/02/chye-seng-huat-hardware.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Thank you for your compliment :) And yes the pig organ soup is mega good!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...