Wednesday, February 1, 2012

To extend a helping hand

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_760869.html

"The easy part was raising a grand sum of $592 through a holiday project. The tricky part for John Phang, 11, was how he should hand over the money that he and his younger sister had collected for The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund (SPMF)... John and his sister Mary-Anne, nine, had bid, as part of an Ikea children's programme, to run a pushcart at its store for a day last month."

Once again, the emotional side of me had come alive. After reading this article I was beaming with pride. Dude, the boy who initiated the fund raising is a FREAKING 11 YEAR OLD BOY! I look at my 12 year old brother and I can't help but be disappointed by how sheltered and uh.. uncaring he is.

Sometimes I wish my little brother is less selfish and pampered and more sensitive to people. He can be such a thick headed and rude little boy. I don't know who to credit his character now to. My mum for bringing him up like how she would bring up a female child?

I'm super proud of the kids in the story. So young and already so.... grown up.  At times like these, I want to teleport to wherever these people are and pat them on the back and tell them that they've done a great deed and should be super proud of themselves. I wholly support charitable causes as long as you do not take any single cent for yourself of course. It makes me happy to know that the world isn't such a cruel place and that young kids aren't all pampered and self-centered, i.e. they have a heart. Even for adults, I'm glad that there are people out there who would help you in every way even if it means having to bend certain rules which aren't really strict, thankfully. I'm super thankful to people like these for giving me another chance to try for an exchange program. Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...